Monday, September 22, 2008

Funny Audition Part 1

So, (Being from Minnesota I am obligated to start my stories off with the word, "so") over the last few months I have been to a few auditions that have had moments that have not gone so well.  Maybe these audition blunders are due to nerves, maybe they are do to me just being a complete dork, but no matter what, they were completely embarrassing, or humorous.  
I'll start with one I found humorous.  
Part 1
About 2 months ago I got a voicemail from a manager who wanted to send me out for a commercial audition for a bubble gum brand called Gay Gum.  I was like I have no problem with pretending I'm gay on a commercial.  And since I'm practically begging on the subways for food right now because I'm so broke, I definitely have no problem having to play a gay character in my first commercial because it pays a couple thousand dollars.  So for the day and a half between the call and the audition, I was practicing improvisations where I was being as flamboyant as I could possibly be.  When I finally showed up to the audition, I realized it was not for Gay Gum but for Day Gum.  Oh yes, I completely misheard the voicemail.  Surprisingly,  despite my lack of hearing, the audition went really well, until they told me to smile at the end.  So I smiled.  And then the casting director said, "Smile with both top and bottom teeth."  So I smiled just with my top teeth again, because I have a huge snaggletooth on the bottom row.  So the casting director goes, "and the bottom, please."  Begrudgingly, I jutted out my bottom teeth, in a huge underbite smile, which got me the immediate, "Next!"  Obviously, gay or not, I didn't get the job.

1 comment:

One Gal said...

My advice to you? Don't quit your gay job, sonny.

:)
Liz