Wednesday, October 22, 2008

What Happens at Auditions

So, i had my two auditions today.
I had my very first voiceover audition today. I had no idea what to expect because I never asked my teachers what happens at auditions. I was planning on doing that when i have my follow up consultation this Saturday. So i get to the audition about an hour early. It was walking distance from my first audition, so I thought I'd get there early, get the voiceover copy, practice for awhile, and peek in the room to see how one is set up for a voiceover audition. So i got there an hour early, sign in, pick up the copy, and out walks the casting director, "Scott, please come in." Oh boy. Dead cold read! I only trained in commercials for voiceover, like the voice you hear on commercials on tv and radio. This was for an online website. Basically, I had to read instructions on how you sign up, so the target audience of 7-8 year old boys can figure it out. I did it. My voice sounded good, and I tried to make it seem hip. Then the casting director was like, give it some more attitude. How the heck do you say, "Enter an eight letter password," with a cool, sarcastic attitude...but not with so much attitude it is going to upset the kids parents. Difficult!!!! I gave it my best shot, which i thought was pretty good, but in retrospect, I think I played ita little too safe. Also, I didn't know I was supposed to say my name before each take, so i got chided for that as well. Oh well, I was pleased with my attempt for my first v.o. audition. It was a good learning experience.
My first audition of the day went extremely well. I got there about a half hour early, picked up the side, and was nearly off-book by the time I was called in. I sat down to start the scene between lawyers, Thurgood Marshall (the reader) and Jack Greenberg (me). I started a little rough, but got better by the end. Then they said to immediately read for Tommy, an eight year old boy, whom if cast, i'd also be playing. What? I wasn't told that before. I hadn't even looked at the scene of Tommy. Luckily I'm an energy actor. I always just want to run around the room when I'm onstage. So even though I had no idea what the scene was about, i just used tons of energy and they seemed to like it. They briefly discussed and called me back on the spot! Amazing! but then said, "Next time we see you, your lawyer needs more gravitas. He was pretty wimpy." Ouch! Talk about going from high to low in seconds. But then right back to high again, because I remembered, hey, I just got called back! And it is a good note to work on. The call back is Friday and I'm excited! Can't wait!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there Scott. I'm very inspired to become a great actress someday and your v.o audition helped boost my ego. Do you mind telling me where you get your auditions from. If so, please email me @ demicicero@yahoo.com. Thanks!